guitar speaker / was Re: Tube challenge!

Scott Gravenhorst chordman at flash.net
Thu Nov 25 06:32:45 CET 1999

DCMagnuson at aol.com wrote:
>In a message dated 11/25/99 7:28:18 AM Eastern Standard Time,
>Juergen.Haible at nbgm.siemens.de writes:
>
>> While it's well known that an *open* output can cause some damage on a tube
>>  power amplifier, I nver heard of a constant load resistor instead of a
>>  speaker
>>  would cause any problems. Is this really true ? And if so, why ?

I've used an 8 ohm wire wound power resistor and never had problems.  I
did this so my buddy who plays lead guitar could get the "amp" sound
without having to mic it.  Much quieter, and no need to stuff the
speaker in a closet with two matresses.

I had heard of this potential damage, but I think it's a myth
created by manufacturers of commercial dummy loads.  (c;

-- Scott Gravenhorst	                | Linux Rex, Linux Vobiscum
-- FatMan: www.teklab.com/~chordman     | RedWebMail by RedStarWare
-- NonFatMan: members.xoom.com/_XOOM/chordman/index.html
-- Al Gore: I'm the father of the internet.