guitar speaker / was Re: Tube challenge!

DCMagnuson at aol.com DCMagnuson at aol.com
Thu Nov 25 15:02:55 CET 1999

In a message dated 11/25/99 7:28:18 AM Eastern Standard Time,
Juergen.Haible at nbgm.siemens.de writes:

> While it's well known that an *open* output can cause some damage on a tube
>  power amplifier, I nver heard of a constant load resistor instead of a
>  speaker
>  would cause any problems. Is this really true ? And if so, why ?

I was speaking to my service tech that retubed and biased my guitar amp, and
he said he uses a bunch of high wattage power resistors as a dummy load while
doing his repairs.  I'm not sure exactly what he uses, (whether or not he
adds some inductive load or not), but he seems to have no problems doing
this.

Perhaps some types of output configurations cannot be run like this (Class A,
etc), but my push-pull amp works fine in this case.

Dave Magnuson
Independent Music Site
http://www.indiemusicsite.com