What happened to Gene Z.

Doug Tymofichuk dougt at cancerboard.ab.ca
Wed Nov 24 00:25:01 CET 1999

I am trying to send this to the list for the third time.
Hopefully it will work this time. Sorry if this results in
multiple posts!

For anyone who was wondering what became of Gene, here are
a couple of e-mails:

Doug,

How nice of you to remember me.  I have been curious about
the Synth-DIY list.  I unsubscribed several months ago.
The number of emails to read evry day were more than I had
time for.  I miss the list.  I have had no work where I
work and have been working on a couple of
speculative projects.  The last week Ihave been getting my
finances in order and extracting myslef from the stock
market which may take a least a small tumble at year end.
If it does, I will be in a verystrong cash position to take
advantage of it, maybe making some money to make up for not
working. But then again it may not fall.

Sooner or later I'll have some time and perhaps get back to
Synth-DIY. Since I left I have made a couple of PC boards
with surface mount parts, one a 112 pin microcomputer.  I
may be selling a microcomputer board soon.

Recently I failed at sawing my left hand off at the wrist
with a power saw.  I don't have the use of my fingers on my
left hand for a few weeks while a repair job heals, but the
fingers still work.  I was very lucky, actually more than
lucky.

Thanks again for thinking of me.  I hope to be back in the
future.

Gene Z.

Doug,

    I wouldn't mind at all if you posted this to the list.

    My board will use the 68HC812A4.  A single RAM chip
will give it 128K of RAM.  A flash chip will give it 512K
of program space.  I'll sell the board with a small monitor
already in the on-chip 4k EEPROM.  With all the code space
it will be a good board to develop C++ code on.  The HC12
runs with an 8MHz bus speed using a 16 Mhz clock.

    I designed the board as a giveaway for some
microcompuer courses which I hope to give in the new
millenium all around the states and Canada, but hopefully
in the world.  There are a lot of Synth-DIYers that I would
like to visit.

    The first Synth project I want to do with th HC12A4 is
an N-channel linear to exponential converter. (The HC12 is
full 16-bit).  I think I can come up with a clever enough
algorithm for generating the exponential that I'll have
more than enough time to generate M channels of an ADSR
envelope generator. If I can keep the code to under 4K then
the chip my itself is all that is needed.  Another
alternative is the 84-pin HC12B32 with 32K of on chip flash.

    If this reaches the Synth list , hello to everybody out
there.

Gene Zumchak

Doug Tymofichuk
dougt at cancerboard.ab.ca