More tubes

Doug Tymofichuk dougt at cancerboard.ab.ca
Tue Nov 23 22:43:51 CET 1999

Greetings, all,

Wow, there sure is a lot of excitement in tubeland these
days. :)

Over the weekend I built a dual VCO module based on Eric
Barbour's design. Construction was straightforward, mount
the tube sockets and connector strips, solder all the parts
in place, insert tubes, and power up. Worked flawlessly,
first time. Love that warm, rich sound!

As I had the parts laying around, I built a separate power
supply for this module, so it is all self-contained. For
the rest of the modules, however, I probably will build one
big power supply for all of them.

I'm finding that I really enjoy this type of construction.
In the time it normally takes me to breadboard a
solid state circuit I can have a tube circuit built and
ready to go. No more etching pcbs, sweating over layout,
etc. And modifications are a snap. I am eager to begin my
next module.

Patch cords are an issue I had not considered yet.
Converting all of the inputs and outputs to lower voltages
seems impractical to me, so maybe some type of mechanically
shielded connector would be needed to prevent electrical
shock. I was planning on using standard 1/4" jacks, I may
have to rethink that. Any suggestions for reasonably
priced, safe connectors? BNC perhaps?

BTW, I have just been the lucky recipient of a couple of
boxes of old, surplus tubes. They contain everything from
diodes to pentodes, sub-miniature to high power, with nixie
tubes and photomultipliers as well, over 150 tubes in all!
Heating my house should be no problem this winter. :)

I am going to be taking pictures of my efforts so far with
a digital camera. If anyone is interested, let me know and
I can send them to you. Or maybe someone would like to post
them on a web page or something.
Doug Tymofichuk
dougt at cancerboard.ab.ca