linear portamento, minimoog style...

Caloroso, Michael E CalorosoME at corning.com
Tue Nov 23 19:57:36 CET 1999

> I have a Glide question. What type of glide is on the memorymoog
> and what type is on the multimoog.
> I have both of these synths, and they are both different.

Yes they are indeed different.

The Memorymoog is linear glide and controls the time per semitone.  The glide rate for a two octave transition is twice as long as a one octave transition.

The Multimoog (and Micromoog) is exponential glide and controls the time for *any* interval.  The glide rate for a two octave transition is exactly the same as a one octave transition, and the glide "slows" as it approaches the note.

These effects are more obvious at long glide times.

Exponential glide closely approximates the natural portamento of the human voice, but the Minimoog established the musician's taste with its unique linear glide and during the Multi/Micro's heyday many users complained that their glide didn't sound like the Mini.  Every Moog synth since the Multi/Micro has implemented the linear glide by popular request.

I associate the term "unique" with the Minimoog's glide because no other synth has duplicated it's "quirks".  Due to its "imperfect" circuitry, the upward glide rate is different from the downward glide rate.  The glide isn't perfectly linear either, but it is far from exponential.

MC
"And now for something completely different... a man with a Moog IIIc up his nose"

Opinions (and mistakes) expressed herein are my own and not those of my employer.