guitar speaker / was Re: Tube challenge!

Don Tillman don at till.com
Tue Nov 23 16:56:02 CET 1999

   From: Martin Czech <martin.czech at intermetall.de>
   Date: Tue, 23 Nov 1999 13:50:13 +0100 (MET)

   No , seriously, I like the sound of heavy overdriven amps and
   speakers, the problem is I can't play that loud in my appartment...

   I guess such an overdriven speaker does more than one can do with a
   linear filter, the amp simulations in my Peavey FXII are quite
   good, but far away from the real thing.

Well, it's a combination of things.
  The various stages of tube-style distortions.
  The special characteristics of guitar amp tone controls.
  The unusual frequncy response of the speaker and cabinet.
  Acoustic feedback.

Each one of these is a completely interesting topic for a technical
discussion.

The last one is a real problem though, you'd need to put a transducer
on the instrument or use one of those, I forget the brand, guitars
with the driven pickup.

  -- Don