2nd-order allpass VCFs?

Sean Costello costello at seanet.com
Tue Nov 23 08:31:56 CET 1999

Hi everybody:

After posting this, I have had some input from others, and done some
reading in Electronotes (before I pack them up for the move to the SF
Bay Area). It seems like it is fairly easily to modify a state-variable
filter to produce an allpass output - Bernie Hutchins describes this in
some of the Application Notes. However, now I am wondering if it is
really necessary to create allpass filters out of the state-variable
filters in order to get the precise control over the notches. Perhaps
mixing the bandpass outputs of several state-variable filters in
parallel, and subtracting this from the original input signal, will
produce similar results.

For the "parallel-bandpass filters subtracted from input signal"
technique to produce really nice notches, I have the feeling that you
would need filters that can achieve fairly LOW values of Q, as lower Q
values in the allpass filters tend to produce more prominent sounding
notches. The state-variable filter I programmed in Csound has problems
with values of Q that are less than 1, but I will give this a try with
this filter and other bandpass filters when I have time (which may not
be until the next millenium, in all honesty). Anyone here experimented
with this, especially with low-Q bandpass filters?  Also, would a global
feedback path work to accenuate the effect, as it does with cascaded
2nd-order allpass filters?

Thanks,

Sean Costello