Re2: Vacuum tube VCO with expo control.

Harry Bissell harrybissell at prodigy.net
Tue Nov 23 08:07:26 CET 1999

"Aged" neon bulbs are available from Chicago Miniature Lamp (as a 'value added"
option). They burn them in for 16 hours and then select them for equal
brightness. This seems to indicate that (like tubes) most of the age decay
occurs real early in life. The NE-2H is the "radioactive" dark stabilized type.

DC operation will reduce life to 60% because of sputtering (loss of one cathode
emmisive material), but maybe the pulsed mode will compensate ???  Perhaps a
small resistor in series with the cap to lomit peak current might also help
(but messes up reset time...)

The OAC3 (??) voltage regulator cold cathode tube might also be made into an
oscillator ??? But is it available anymore...

:^) PS don't bother looking for Chicago Miniature web site... Its SLI something
now
and the data sheets aren't there...

Gilway Technical Lamp might be another choice...

HEY... How about a CCFL lamp as an oscillator... Even MORE voltage and it will
light up your front panel at the same time...  (only kidding)

:^) Harry