anyone use plexiglass faceplates?

Tony Allgood oakley at techrepairs.freeserve.co.uk
Mon Nov 22 10:27:23 CET 1999

Hi all,

I did this for my monosynth, inspired by the Gleeman Penta-doodah.
Several problems I encountered:

1. Cutting the damn stuff. The edges were very poor with my home made
efforts. It doesn't file well either. Band saw would be better.

2. Scratching while cutting and mounting components. Far far far worse
than any aluminium, its own swarf will scratch badly.

3. Cost. Very expensive even for small bits at a decent thickness

4. If you solder any thing near the panel, it will show it up. From flux
smoke to flux drops. But that was with Ersin flux, it may be better with
the hydro-X stuff.

5. The final look was disappointing, the panel appeared cluttered
because of all the gubbins on show behind it.

So I took it off and replaced it with a sheet of painted MDF... but that
was crap, so it now has a nice panel from Schaeffer. And it now looks
good, if a little traditional! So Tony's top tip for the day; Very good
to go to Schaeffer for UK-diyers at the moment because the pound is
running at 3DM.

Regards,

Tony Allgood  Penrith, Cumbria, UK

Walsh synthesiser, SuperLadder, TB303 clone and rack mounted filter

http://www.techrepairs.freeserve.co.uk/projects.htm