tempcos + silicone glue question

Martin Czech martin.czech at intermetall.de
Mon Nov 22 09:44:20 CET 1999

:::I got to thinking about using silicone sealant the other day when at the auto
:::parts store (a high-temp version of silicone sealant--I think it's called
:::"RTV"--is used on the head gaskets of engines, etc.).  Will this stuff give
:::adequate thermal conductivity?  If not, what other methods are recommended?  Or
:::do I just  have to deal with goopy, yucky, hard-to-clean-off heatsink compound?

I think the thermal behaviour of a good isolator will be.. isolating.
There are some expoxy mixtures which use little metal particles, they
are claimed to have good thermal conduction + electrical isolation.
I didn't test this yet.

I think it is not necessary to  put the whole transistor & tempco in a
sea of heat conducting paste. Just where both bodies meet. Then it would
be preferable to wrap a good thermal isolator arround it, so that the
unwanted external heat resistance is very much larger then the wanted
internal.

This would be iomportatnbt for live gigs, in the studio the
temperature may vary only a few degrees per session, once anything has
warmed up, but isolation keeps the tempco "on the track".

m.c.