re-re-re percussion ribbon...

Scibona, Joe joe.scibona at cobe.com
Wed Nov 17 22:22:09 CET 1999

I like the idea of an X-Y controller.  I would suggest using a flat
rectangular sensor like a touch screen overlay.  The type that are used on
flat panel displays come in digital or analog restive types.  They come with
plastic or hardened glass backers.  (plastic is probably best for this
application.   The front surface is a clear plastic film which is fairly
durable but I would recommend covering it with a rubber membrane or
something to protect it (especially if you intend to use sticks as opposed
to mallets on it).
Playing on this would give you position in the X and Y but no amplitude
info.
For that I would add a piezo element to the backer plate as the trigger and
presto...
The rest is software.

You can get these panels as evaluation kits for PC's along with a circuit
interface and software that emulates a mouse.  (I have one or two of these
at work)  You can set various parameters that will set the sensitivity and
the pointer behavior.  Tweaking these may allow you to get a glide effect.
(set the mouse trails on your PC's to ON and see what I mean.)

That's my two cents for today.

I've been lurking in the background on this list for 2+ years,  I figure
it's about time I posted something to show for my 35ys of electronics
background and 31yrs as a music hack.
(drummer not a keyboard/synthist)

So,  Hi gang!
I'm Joe, and I'm damned glad to meet ya!
Joe

P.S.  Built my own version of the ThereMan a while back.  A cool toy.  Any
questions?

Other misc.:
I have a Univox Analog synth
a Gnome
a paia drum Synth (one channel)
a Midi keyboard
a couple of midi sax's (Yamaha toys)
a Yamaha drum synth  (DD7 I think)
a Theremax
a Fatman
a Casio midi keyboard
An assortment of home brew sound synth devices
 of course a drum set and assorted percussion thingies
4 guitars, 2 elect, 2 accu. (that I still can't play worth a darn)
misc. other instru. (keyboards, flutes, harmonicas...etc.  blah blah blah)
and a garage shop filled with 35years of electronics hobby materials.

Currently working on (among other projects) a couple of MadMice from TomG.
If I ever get around to finishing them I may post again.

Bye for now!
Joe

Remember:  There are no stupid questions.  Only stupid people who try and
answer them with out having a clue what they are talking about...

"I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed, or
numbered.
 My life is my own... I am not a number. I am a free man."  ....#6