percussion ribbon controller

Doug Tymofichuk dougt at cancerboard.ab.ca
Wed Nov 17 16:38:41 CET 1999

Hello, everyone,

Thanks to everybody who responded to my ribbon controller
question! The quantity and variety of responses was great!

What I am trying to do with this is to add a controller of
some type to my drum kit that I can control a monosynth
with. The three alternatives that I am considering are:

1. Ribbon controller - as we have been discussing. It
sounds like they work quite well for "finger" use, but to
get something that works well when beating on it with
sticks is another matter. Trying to hit one thin wire
accurately enough sounds a bit daunting to me. And I do
want to use two mallets on it at one time. And I don't want
it to be really complex, just basic analogue.

2. A set of four or so individual trigger pads that can be
tuned independantly through the full pitch range with a
knob on the front of each one. I think this would be fairly
easy and simple to do. I have already built four pads using
margarine containers, metal plates, 1/4 inch rubber sheets,
and piezo sensors, that seem to work quite well. The only
downside that I can think of is I can only play four
different notes at one time, but maybe I will find that
four is enough. On the plus side, velocity measurement can
be easily done with this.

3. A single trigger pad with some other way of controlling
pitch, such as a footpedal, breath controller, jaw position
sensor, eyelid position sensor, etc., etc. This gets my
imagination going, there are endless possibilities, but
whatever I use must be practical and reasonably
uncomplicated.

My instinct is to go with #2, as I am almost there now, but
I am still considering the other possibilities as well.

Any thoughts?
Doug Tymofichuk
dougt at cancerboard.ab.ca