Tom Henry Tunable Noise Source

jhaible jhaible at debitel.net
Tue Nov 16 21:19:09 CET 1999

> Could AM of banlimited noise be interesting ,too?
>
> Maybe the effect of FM /AM would be quite similar, due to the
> flat spectra.
>
> The FM has something, because there should be no dc offset problem
> at the output, whereas the multiplier could suffer from this.

Speaking of noise, I never was that good at statistics, so I have a few
burning questions:

(1) How does the spectrum on white noise change when it is hard
      limited (clipped) ?

(2) What is the spectrum of a sine oscillator modulated (FM) by white noise
?

(3) How is the pattern (distribution ?) of a Sample and Hold changed when
      you're sampling a white-noise-FMed VCO instead of sampling the noise
      directly ?

(4) How is the pattern of a Sample and Hold changed when
      you're sampling a triangle-VCO-PLL with white noise as input to the
      PLL ?

Ok, I have some vague guesses for each case, but I'd like to know for
certain.

JH.