Doepfer MS-404

Christian Hofmann chris at scp.de
Tue Nov 16 17:37:44 CET 1999

> >  Its funny, looking at this and then at some of the designs from
> >people on the list, just how good some of our circuits are and
> >how easy they would be to put into production.
>

> Evidently Doepfer thought so too, ask JH!....  Not much originality
> there.He' s got Paul's Rogue/MG1 vcos, the an299 heater ,Bob's
> ladder and he probably bought the rights to somebody else's midi
> interface. I suspect this is a prevailing theft...uhhh... theme in all
> Doepfer products.
>
> Not that I could do much better...but I didn't put it into production
> did I? Somebody said the difference between someone who is
> smart and a genius is.... A smart person will find a solution you
> think you could have thought of. A genius will catch you
> completely by surprise with his original thinking. Well the only
> surprise here is the fact that he took so much liberty with the
> work of others. I've never heard a 404 but I'll bet it does a nice
> tb303 which is also close to Moog robbery, but a least Roland
> had the courtesy to do something original with it.

Hi,
it may not be hip to say a good thing about Doepfer these days (and I
don't quite understand why, maybe the 3340 thing started it), but the
404 came out when almost nobody else did commercial analog synths. _That_
was the original idea behind it. Under that light it was neither
intended nor necessary to invent something new.

And: I can't verify this, but it has been said that the 404 is based on
Doepfer's own modular system circuits he offered back in the 70s (well,
probably not the filter, since the patent had not expired then). I doubt
all those web sites "he stole from" were online back then.

Christian