percussion ribbon controller

Mvsik at aol.com Mvsik at aol.com
Mon Nov 15 03:02:29 CET 1999

In a message dated 11/14/99 3:16:19 PM EST, MAILER-DAEMON at aol.com writes:

<< In a message dated 11/13/99 1:39:20 PM EST, harrybissell at prodigy.net
writes:

 << BUT if you asked for "resistance wire" look for NiChrome
(Nickel-Chromium)
 used in
  electric heating apps. It has the ohms per foot type response you are
 looking for.

  :^) Harry  (who will try this on monday... great idea !!!)

 Correction: I had thought an electric guitar string had virtually no
resistance, but I just measured the thinnest unwound guitar wire I have, high
"E", and it has 3 ohms
 end-to-end. Still, I suspect it may be difficult to work with wire having a
resistance that low. I guess the ideal would be 3-5K for the resistive part
if your going to use this "ribbon" in place of the keyboard+resistor chain on
a classic analog monosynth. With a lot more (50K+ or so) resistance I get
glide between pitches as an unwanted  side effect. Thats what happened when I
tried to use videotape.  But, use too little resistance and it becomes
impossible to scale anything.