[synth-diy] Sorta OT: health risks

Grant Richter grichter at execpc.com
Sat Nov 13 18:31:46 CET 1999

Heck ya, you can get lead poisoning from solder.
It happened to me.

I used to smoke cigarettes on the job. Wiping the
lead from the solder onto the cigarette filters and
then sticking them in my mouth was not a good idea.

Wash your hands immediately after handling solder -
it is a toxic metal. The fumes also contain lead
vapor - ventilate the area where you are soldering.

Wear safety glasses when soldering - I went to the
emergency room with melted lead in my eyes when the moisture
in a solder cup caused the solder to explode in my face
(steam pressure) The doctor was a radio ham and his
first question was "Acid or rosin core"

Electronics is a pretty low risk career or hobby, now music,
that's a dangerous career - juke joints, bar fights, and
all those miles on the road and in the air (hopefully).