Percussion ribbon controller

Harry Bissell harrybissell at
Sat Nov 13 21:39:06 CET 1999

Music Wire is called "Piano Wire" here in the USA. It usually isn't sold in music
stores (unless they specialize in pianos which use this stuff for springs...
Its sold in Hobby Shops because people use it for actuators for Model airplanes
... landing gear etc...

It comes in "Hard" and "Soft" also... the hard is tempered, very strong but a
little brittle. It will return to shape if bent lightly... Soft takes more abuse
but will take a permanent "kink" if pushed beyond its limits...

BUT if you asked for "resistance wire" look for NiChrome (Nickel-Chromium) used in
electric heating apps. It has the ohms per foot type response you are looking for.

:^) Harry  (who will try this on monday... great idea !!!)

Mvsik at wrote:

> In a message dated 11/12/99 11:25:27 PM EST, Mvsik writes:
> << n a message dated 11/12/99 1:09:56 PM EST, sdcurtin at writes:
>  << hen you buy guitar strings at a music store, you're going to get six
>   different guages of string, some of it wirewound.   The finer, unwould steel
>   string can be bought separately in uncut spools, this is known as "music
>   wire" to luthiers.
>   Steve C >>
>  Interesting you say that, because, as I didn't know about "music wire" until
> now,
>  some days ago a friend gave me a long piece of wire that feels like an
> unwound guitar wire except its 8 feet long and has some measureable
> resistance, about 1 ohm/foot, unlike my "regular" guitar strings I've checked
> that measure ".2" ohms at any point. So maybe its possible we're we're
> talking about the same kind of wire?
>  The only other source I know of would be resistance wire but I don't know
> how that would compare to the wire I have here.
>  So I'm using this piece of resistive guitar wire over a 4foot strip of
> aluminum. It works for now.
>   >>

More information about the Synth-diy mailing list