[DSP stuff (was Re: Questions)]

Quinton Fulsom qfulsom at usa.net
Thu Nov 11 05:48:51 CET 1999

The shark and coldire (motorola) are the most appropriate dsp's for
audio it would appear as well as the most popular.  Cheap eval boards
are about $150.  I haven't obtained one yet but hope to very soon but
Cirrus has really interesting dsp's with many ad/da features built in
their series.  It would depend on the proc power though.
Quint

"Nicholas Thompson" <nickt at apple.com> wrote:
Christian,

on  Sun, Nov 7, 1999, 8:40 AM patchell wrote

>     Actually almost all (not all, almost all) modulars are analog.
Building
> a digital modular is not very easy.  If you want to part with about $1800,
> take a look at this web site.
>
> http://www.clavia.se/nordmodular/
>
>     This is probably one of the best digital modulars you can get, but it
is
> not a D.I.Y.  It is a virtual analog.  Building a virtual analog synth is
> probably a bit more difficult to do, mostly because the IC's come in
surface
> mount packages with a gazillion very tiny pins that break by just looking
at
> them wrong.

The entire reply that patchell wrote was great, but I wanted to just add
something to the para above.

Clavia also make the micromodular which has half the DSP power and  less
knobs, outputs, a cheaper display all for about $650 street (I ordered mine
from Gelb in redwood city).

If you can spare the bucks then this is possibly the best way to learn about
modulars, and synths in general, since it has a huge variety of modules
(more than you'll ever see in real life unless you are, or know, a
millionaire), and is pretty easy to configure (though you do need a PC or a
Mac to configure your patches.  The micromodular has to be the best kept
secret of the non DIY universe.

It really is a great learning tool and an awesome instrument.  I also love
"real" modulars, since there's nothing quite like just tweaking away with
something physical, I have a great system at home and am in the process of
adding DIY members' modules to this, slowly.

DSPs are very interesting to me.  Building the pure analog stuff is fun, but
it would be great to have a DIY DSP synth project that people could
contribute code to.

I have huge respect for people who can design analog, I can read a schematic
and solder boards together.  I have tremendous fun building things, but I
don't understand enough of this to actually design things yet.

But software is a different matter for me.  So I was wondering about the
following: is anybody on this list working with any of the various DSP eval
boards from the point of view of making noises.  Would anyone here be
interested in getting together and buying some DSP eval kits and attempting
a DSP DIY synth?  A lot of work, I know, but with several people working on
it and open source for the code, this could be a really cool project.

This is probably a pipe dream, but it would be cool to get a prototype up on
for example a motorola eval kit and then design a diy dsp based synth that
uses the same software, together with midi support.

Just a thought, but if anyone is interested or has started this, let me
know.

Above all have fun!!!!

Regards

Nick

Nick Thompson,                      MacOs Release Engineering
Apple Computer Inc, 1 Infinite Loop, Cupertino, CA 95014, USA