Identifying tempcos

Grant Richter grichter at execpc.com
Wed Nov 10 05:59:03 CET 1999

A dim light bulb went on about this from some trade magazine
article in the 60s. Something like "Transistor circuit improves
rejection of Radar ground scatter" or something?

I am guessing the uA726 was used in analog military radar sets
for logarithmic conversion. I am not sure if this was for signal
compression or because taking the FFT of a log converted signal
gives a time axis rather than a frequency axis? Somewhere the
time (t) gets flipped from the bottom of the equation to the top
so you get period instead of frequency using a log converter.

Something about multiplication being the sum of two logarithms,
so filtering a log converted signal and then taking the exponent
gives you what?

That is H(t) * F(t) = (Exp (log H(t) + log F(t)) which is the basis
for multipliers like the RC4200. But something funky happens
mathematically when you filter a log converted time varying
signal before exponent conversion since you dealing with an
addition rather than a multiplication of two functions.

Could this maybe be useful for music? Anybody?