[AH] zawinul

Christian Hofmann chris at scp.de
Tue Nov 9 13:48:31 CET 1999

On Tue, 9 Nov 1999 12:49:50 +0100
Haible Juergen <Juergen.Haible at nbgm.siemens.de> wrote:

> A few days ago, I stumbled into a looong feature about
> Wheather Report on the German TV. Joe Zawinul giving
> a long interview in his unique Austrian / English language
> mix, and many live videos from Wheather report, with
> detailed closup views of Zawinuls his instruments.
> What a player, and what a collection of analogue synths
> on stage !
>
> Anybody else seen this ?

I had a glance while taping it. Beautiful sounds. At one time I saw him
playing a P5 in a quasi velocity sensitive way, using a slow attack, and
varying the note length. Nice.

Although I have to say that _some_ of the free jazz tunes were a bit
hard to take (for my taste, that is). Why can't he do something like
"Twist and shout". Oops, only kidding...
All in all I'm glad there's still music beyond four-on-the-floor and
cutoff'n'resonance :-)

Christian