possible tempco alternative link

Ian Fritz ijfritz at earthlink.net
Tue Nov 9 05:17:40 CET 1999

Martin --

Thanks for taking the time to clarify your calculation. (I hadn't been
following the thread very closely.)

I went through your math to be sure I understood it. I agree with the
math, but I believe there is still a conceptual error, as I tried to
point out in my post. I'll try to go through this again more carefully,
using your notation.

First the "usual" case ("positive tempco and inv opamp", in your
terminology.) We agree that for exact compensation the resistors must
satisfy

R(T)/R = (k ln2 / q) T = AT  (defining the scaling constant A = kln2/q).

The important point that I'm trying to emphasize is that this relation
is linear ==> through the origin <==. In other words, there is no
constant term on the right hand side. If R(T)/R = AT + B, then B causes
an error, because there is then a B/T term in the exponent.

In your derivation, you only look at the temperature derivatives,
effectively ignoring the possibility of a constant term. In other words,
you just drop any effect of your R10 term. This term will cause errors
unless it is small.

If I could be allowed a suggestion, another way to analyze your circuit
would be to plot

A'(T) = (1/(1 + Ru/R1))(1/T).

For ideal behavior, A'(T) = A.  You pitch error over temperature is then
the fractional error of A'/A - 1.

I hope this discussion is useful. I think many people misunderstand
tempco compensation!

Terry Michaels refered me to some Q81 data a while ago. I think it had
pretty close to ideal behavior.

Best regards,

  Ian