Top octave dividers: why?

Harry Bissell harrybissell at prodigy.net
Mon Nov 8 21:31:13 CET 1999

REG: 88 note...as fat as all getout...

IMHO there is a limit to "Fatness" vs. polyphony. I once built a hex fuzz
for guitar... thinking it would be "fat as indicated". It wasn't... it was
mellow. The fuzzes blended very nicely, even on a setting which made each
individual note a razorblade. This was (IMHO) due to
1) The flat envelopes of the fuzz by itself yield a six level amplitude
envelope... Six strings are louder than one...
2) All the beating of the harmonics make a sort of string pad like tone

Therefore... If you want poly thats good... but if you want fat its got to
be
1) Mono...
2) Duo...
and certainly not more than four nots and thats pushing it...

IMHO of course...

PS the 555 alone isn't the greatest chip... the top octave is a good idea
if you don't want to tune forever...
:^) Harry