Top octave dividers: why?

Christian Hofmann chris at scp.de
Mon Nov 8 14:17:24 CET 1999

On Mon, 08 Nov 1999 22:03:32 +1100
Paul Perry <pfperry at melbpc.org.au> wrote:

> With 555 timers so cheap, I don't think it unreasonable to
> have an instrument with 88 note polyphony.
> Surely this would be as fat as all getout?
>
> paul perry melbourne australia

Hi Paul,
I once thought about that as well. But I'm not that familiar with 555s
(by a weird twist of fate I never happended to use them in my whole diy
career), so I don't know if this could be a problem:
Any instrument should have a master tune knob. I'm not sure if 555s can
be more or less synchronously tuned by a common control voltage.

Maybe I'm old & wise enough now to understand those sophisticated chips
like the 555. I think I'll have a look at a linear data book tonight...

Christian