OT: Carvin Mixer question

WeAreAs1 at aol.com WeAreAs1 at aol.com
Mon Nov 8 10:55:22 CET 1999

<<Anybody ever heard of a Carvin 2488 mixer?>>

Yeah, that's a real nice little board.  Actually, it's not really little -
it's pretty big.  If it's been in service since when it was being produced,
the mid-to-late 1980's, it probably is in need of some TLC, but it will make
a very nice and serviceable mixing board for an eight-track studio.  It only
has eight dedicated tape returns, so it would hard to use with more tracks,
although you could probably get by with more tracks if you were willing to do
a lot of patching.

When I was a member of the band Oingo Boingo, we did a product endorsement
thing with Carvin.  They gave us a lot of stuff, including one of those
mixers, which we used for years as our rehearsal monitor mixer.  We were an
eight-piece band, and that mixer allowed us to have eight separate monitor
mixes for our eight separate (and very picky) band members.  A friend of mine
also uses one with his 1/2" eight track setup, and he loves it.

But you're getting it for free?  Why are you asking questions about it?
Haven't you ever heard the expression, "don't look a gift horse in the mouth"?

BTW, I'm pretty sure I have the schematics for that unit somewhere around
here.  I don't think I have an owner's manual for it, but my friend with the
eight-track might.

Michael Bacich