cv to midi???

J. Larry Hendry jlarryh at iquest.net
Mon Nov 8 01:43:41 CET 1999

> FWIW, I'm a humble lurker/not an electronics genius, so all the following

> goes with the usual disclaimer:  your voltage may vary/don't blame me if
> sumthin blows up.
>
> Yamaha breath controller inputs and Roland expression pedal inputs seem
to be
> stereo jacks where the tip goes to (in say an expression pedal/passive
volume
> pedal) the pot wiper and the ring and sleeve (ground) go to opposing
sides of
> the wiper/ends of the pot.  And I haven't done this with a Yamaha, but
I've
> mistakenly used a self-powered controller pedal with a mono plug on the
> Roland input.   It works fine.   Guess the Roland's onboard voltage
supply
> must be the ring (which is grounded out by the mono jack) and the
controller
> pedal feeds its own variable positive voltage through the tip.  Dunno if
your
> Yamaha gear would like that or not--I never tried it.   But if shorting
out
> the onboard voltage is no big deal, I suppose your BC input could treated
as
> a CV input.

Well, I guess I will get off my dead-ass and measure the voltages at the
tip and ring as the pedal operates and see what exactly what is going on.
Of course, one way to avoid shorting out the internal voltage when using an
external voltage as you described is to actually use a stereo plug and
leave the tip or ring (whichever has the internal voltage applied) open
without connection.

Larry Hendry