cv to midi???

WeAreAs1 at aol.com WeAreAs1 at aol.com
Sun Nov 7 22:39:10 CET 1999

Paul Perry wrote:

<< The Anatek "Pocket Pedal" can be found very
cheap sometimes, seeing as it is tiny and almost
nobody knows what to do with it. >>

One of the best things about the Anatek Pocket Pedal is that it not only has
a MIDI output that will send controller messages, but it also has a merging
MIDI input.  This input allows you to place the Pocket Pedal anywhere in the
MIDI chain that it is needed.  For instance, you could use the Pocket Pedal
to add MIDI Volume Control messages to the output of any old MIDI controller,
such as an old DX7, Poly 800, or a MIDI drum machine or sequencer.  The
Yamaha MCS2 that Larry Hendry was talking about also has this ability, as
does the Peavey PC1600, which is pretty much the king of MIDI controller
devices (the jury is still out on the Kenton Control Freak, though it
certainly does show promise...)

BTW, Anatek no longer makes those Pocket Pedals - they seem to have gotten
out of the MIDI business.  But a former Anatek employee, John Fast, has a
small company named MIDI solutions that makes similar devices.  He has a
little box that works much like the Pocket Pedal, but which has more features
and is user-programmable via sysex.  I think he sells the box for about
US$119.  He also has a much more sophisticated box which has multiple pedal
inputs (I think about 8 inputs), for those who need to have access to several
MIDI controllers at once.  I've spoken to John a couple of times, and he
seemed to be the kind of guy who would be happy to help if you needed to
solve a particular DIY problem - such as hacking his box to make it work with
external control voltages.  I doubt that Anatek would be forthcoming in this
respect (if they are even still in operation..), and I am also pretty sure
that their box can not be easily opened up, being permanently glued shut
(although that wouldn't scare off many of us, would it?).

MIDI solutions also has several other neat little problem-solving MIDI boxes
(mergers, velocity converters, MIDI-controlled relays, etc.), and they are qui
te willing to modify the firmware of any of his MIDI devices to the specs of
the customer (budget $$ allowing...).  It's definitely worth taking a quick
look at their website.

Here is the contact info for MIDI solutions:

http://www.MIDIsolutions.com/
MIDI Solutions, Inc.
P.O. Box 3010
Vancouver, BC
Canada V6B 3X5
tel>  604-794-3013
email>  info at midisolutions.com

Paul Messick's MaxMIDI PIC-based foot controller device
(http://www.maxmidi.com/diy/foot/index.html) looks like it would be very
useful in many situations, but it does not have a merging input, so it would
always have to be the first device in any MIDI chain - unless you had some
sort of additional merging device that would allow you to combine the MIDI
signals from the foot controller and any other MIDI data that was needed.  I
don't think the Paia device has an input either (correct me if I'm wrong
here).

Maybe Paul M. would consider developing a version of this device that also
had an integral merging input?  Not an elementary task, as far as I can tell,
but he seems to be a clever lad - maybe he's up to it?  I have seen other
PIC-based MIDI control devices that had both MIDI output and merging MIDI
input.  The little 12 knob control box that Kawai made for their K5000 series
had this configuration.  I don't remember which particular PIC chip it
contained (possibly the 16C84??), but I do recall that it did not have any
additional RAM on the circuit board, so all MIDI input event queuing and
buffering must have been done within the internal RAM of the PIC chip.

Michael Bacich