Rick Wakeman, how can I sound like him?

Jim Johnson jamos at technotoys.com
Thu Nov 4 06:56:27 CET 1999

Of course this is more appropriate for AH, but I'll bite - "Journey" was
one of the two records that got me where I am today...

In addition to having a synth that sounds exactly like a Mini, and the
techniques Michael mentioned, there are two other things you'll need - 1)
Monster keyboard technique, and 2) a little trick that Rick originated,
which I call "note-chopping". (Did I invent this term?  I'm unclear...)

Anyway, do this:

1) Make sure your keyboard has low-note priority.
2) Create a smooth, flowing sound with just a hint of portamento.
3) Play a note and, without releasing it, rapidly press and release
(several times) the note a fifth below that. (Or an octave, or a second,
whatever the music demands.) Way cool, and totally unique to the monophonic
synth.

Jim Johnson
Metaphoric Software
-------------------
Makers of Techno Toys
Software for Electronic Music
http://www.technotoys.com
info at technotoys.com

On 11/3/99 at 7:14 PM WeAreAs1 at aol.com wrote:

>I don't know the particular songs you mention, but in those days, Rick
used a
>Minimoog for almost all of his synth solos.  If you want to get the same
>portamento that he gets, you'll need to have the Minimoog type portamento,

>which has a linear time response (unlike the typical exponential "lag
>generator" portamento found in ARPs and most DIY synthesizers).
>
>The Minimoog portamento circuit is rather arcane, and I wouldn't recommend

>copying it directly, since there are less complicated ways to achieve that

>effect.  For instance, the Sequential Circuits Pro One and the Prophet
Five