Rick Wakeman, how can I sound like him?

Mark Cornell cornellm.student at ringwoodschool.demon.co.uk
Wed Nov 3 16:23:40 CET 1999

Hi all,

I'm just starting getting into all this DIY Synth
stuff, slowly, but I want to know this.

On Journey to the centre of the earth, Rick uses
loads of great things, effects and stuff, and
several moogs and things. How can I reproducde the
sounds he makes in his synth solos?

I'm thinking particularly of:

The first song before the guy speaks, after the
opening orchestral theme, which develops into a
swing feel when the drums come in. It has loads of
lovely portamento, and sounds warm and fuzzy.

The piece about the stream that cooled in their
tunnel. Just after the narator says "they called the
stream, the Hansbar"

Some of the musical background when the narrator is
talking.

Any help would be really great. Soon I will be
building modules and stuff, and I need to know what
I need to make these particular sounds which I like
so much.

Thanks.

Mark.
   (   "Happiness is a small                  )
   (   mind and a large tummy" - Henry's Cat  )