Tube Challenge!!

Doug Tymofichuk dougt at cancerboard.ab.ca
Tue Nov 2 16:17:54 CET 1999

On Tue, 02 Nov 1999 07:38:26 -0600 Bill Layer
<blayer at uswest.net> wrote:

> This would be far in advance of current technology. The
> current vacuum tube VCO are sawtooth
> relaxation-oscillators, not capable of Sines or
Triangles.

Why is this? A multi-waveform VCO can be designed using
discrete transistors, why not the same with triodes, etc.?

> >  I think that this could be an incredibly
> >PHAT sounding oscillator.
>
> I guess I should make a recording of my tube VCO with a
> couple of (SS) filters applied.. The files I heard on
> Eric's site do not do the machine justice..

I'd love to hear this!

> PS In exchange for a beer, I'd be happy to send a 2D21
> Thyratron to anyone building the VCO. This is the only
> strange tube in the circuit.

Do you really want me to send you a beer? How about a
CX1159 (very high power gas-filled thyratron) instead for a
20KV high output VCO!
Doug Tymofichuk
dougt at cancerboard.ab.ca