convolution

Martin Czech martin.czech at intermetall.de
Tue Nov 2 09:17:31 CET 1999

:::A starting pistol is often used for this purpose - this would probably provide
:::the best impulse. I have heard of people popping balloons, but it seems like
:::this would add some coloration to the sound (a balloon popping doesn't sound
:::like white noise to me).

I pistol neither...
This is why I proposed to use the inverse spectrum to get an ideal impulse...

:::
:::Be sure to try all sorts of sounds as impulse responses. Hit a frying pan and
:::record the results, then use it as an impulse response for a very metallic
:::coloration. Any percussive sound can be used as a "resonator." For the "ideal"
:::reverb, use exponentially decaying white noise (synthesized with something like
:::Csound). Run a one-shot pulse (that is as close to infinitely thin as you can
:::get) through your favorite analog setup, and use the result to get an "analog"
:::sound.
:::

So far I used a noise reverb, voices, sine waves etc.
The first time that I got more out of an mathematical concept than I expected.

:::There is an excellent essay by Curtis Roads, called "Sound transformation by
:::convolution" in the book "Musical Signal Processing" (Curtis Roads, Stephen
:::Travis Pope, Aldo Piccialli, Giovanni De Poli, eds., Swets & Zeitlinger, 1997).
:::I would HIGHLY recommend this book to anyone working with computer music. Curtis
:::Roads is currently working on a new book, "Microsound," that will cover in
:::greater detail his work with combining convolution with granular techniques.

On the list...

m.c.