Filter slopes

Caloroso, Michael E CalorosoME at corning.com
Mon Nov 1 22:20:17 CET 1999

> Can filters slopes be obtained in other multiples than 6dB/oct? For example, I
> feed a signal to a first-order and a second-order filter in parallel, with the
> same fc. If the outputs are mixed together, what is the final slope of the
> filtered signal?

That's a difficult one to predict.  You'll hear a mix of some of the first-order and the second-order, the driving factor as to which harmonics are audible and which are cancelled depends on the phase shift relationship and output amplitude between the two filters.  At the -3dB point of both filters the output signal is 180 degrees out of phase with the input, but the phase and amplitude match ends there.

MC