Tube Challenge!!

Doug Tymofichuk dougt at cancerboard.ab.ca
Mon Nov 1 20:22:50 CET 1999

Happy Monday, everyone!

I have been thinking about this tube vs solid state thing
all weekend. (Oh no!)  I would like to send out a challenge
to the tube gurus out there who are "carrying the torch".
(Arrggh, not ANOTHER tube/solid state flame war!)

There are numerous sites on the web where DIY solid state
projects can be found, enabling anybody with some time and
motivation to build basic but effective synth stuff. But
what about tubes? I have not searched exhaustively for tube
projects in particular, so maybe I have missed something,
but there just does not seem to be a lot out there.

Here is my challenge; I would like to see somebody come up
with some synth DIY tube projects on a website designed for
the tube novice. For starters, how about a VCO built
entirely from a few common tubes (12AX7 etc.), that
produces various waveforms, with V/Oct scaling and FM
input. Details regarding design and features could be
discussed on the list, for those interested, just as is
done for solid state projects. And judging by what tubes
sound like to me, I think that this could be an incredibly
PHAT sounding oscillator. If successful, a whole series of
modules could then be designed, allowing one to build
their own all-tube modular synth. Then everyone could see
for themselves what the advantages and disadvantages are.

So, any brave souls up to the challenge?
Doug (obviously thinking WAY too much) Tymofichuk
dougt at cancerboard.ab.ca