[Re: scotchtal]

Harry Bissell harrybissell at netscape.net
Fri Apr 23 01:57:57 CEST 1999

Harry Bissell writes: The Anodized Aluminum "Scotchcal" formerly known as
"Scotchmark" is (to my knowledge) no longer available. The "8500 Developer"
(an alcohol and ??? blend) may be a regulated substance. My last search for
the product found a listing for the Government (US) for trading the developer
only to other Gov't agencies. The Mylar variety is still around, but I don't
know about the photosensitive kind. Most applications are for archetural apps
(like billboards, or covering a bus) I didn't find the product on the 3M
website like I wanted. I'm lucky I found my way home again (it is HUGE). The
Aluminum Scotchcal was a GREAT product, I labeled my guitar pedalboard with it
and its going strong almost 20 years later. You can (if you experiment) use
SOLAR POWER as an exposure source. Photoflood lamps don't work as well. I had
access to a vaccuum photoframe with a scanning quartz bulb... that was luxury.
IF anyone can tell me I'm wrong about the products demise.. I'd like to hear
that.  The DIY-PCB group could use the stuff too...

David <spor at ix.netcom.com> wrote:
Hi-
3M has many products with similar "scotch" based names. I made prototype
and show control panels for a medical company years back using
"Scotchcal". It used a neg/pos process for image transfer. It was a mylar
base with a colored photo-sensitive emultion, you could handle it in
normal day light, used UV light source to tranfer image. I would do a
layout with presstype(ack!) on a piece of vellum, then use a piece of
scotchcal orange film (orange was the most opaque) to make a negative.
Expose it to a light source for a bit. Developing just used this
alcohol-based fuild, I would develop it right on my desktop(the extra
fluid cleaned my desk).

Then you could make a postive print using any of the many colors they
had. Mount the piece emultion side down to any substrate (another color
of mylar, thin self-ahiesive metalcal stock, or your metal front panel. I
ever made multi color panels by layering several sheets together.

This was in the days before laser printers,so you could do your layout on
your computer, print on vellum type paper and piece it together to get a
19" wide panel.

I made many panels like this for products, I even made membrane touch
pads using a similar method. They hold up very well.

David Robinson