ODP: Modulus web page

Paul Perry pfperry at melbpc.org.au
Thu Apr 22 16:32:00 CEST 1999

At 01:57 PM 22/04/99 +0200, Roman Sowa  wrote:
>Maybe I'm having bad day, but what this all A/D/A, PIS&software does,
>isn't it a crossfade you can achieve with two VCAs?

so far as I can see, you are right, Roman.....
A morphing, as opposed to 'crossfading' system, could be made by having
the 'start' and 'end' waveshapes both synthesised from polynomials, and
sweeping the coefficients from 'go' to 'whoa'.
This would be doable in software, and while I can't guarantee how useful
the result would be, it sure should be fun!!!!!
A friend has built his own DSP monosynth, with 8 knobs on the front for
tweaking the 8 most important parameters on each patch.
He allows morphing between the parameters of any two patches, provided
there is no mode change (like filter type) involved.
A complexity with morphing, as far as I can see, is that there is no
reason why linear interpolation is necessarily the best aproach.

paul perry Frostwave P/L Melbourne Australia