Ear we go, ear we go, ear we go

Paul Perry pfperry at melbpc.org.au
Wed Apr 14 01:00:41 CEST 1999

At 01:54 PM 13/04/99 -0400, you wrote:
>All that said, what explains our ability to tell not just left-right, but
>up, down, fore and aft positioning of sounds?

Diffraction of soundwaves around your head, and around your ears.
If you do a van Gogh (or a Chopper Read, for Australians) you will find
it much harder to know where sounds originate.

paul perry melbourne australia

this is the whole principal behind binaural recording (as oposed to mere stereo)

Perhaps we should play back different parts of our ecompositions,
and re-record with binaural microphone systems? Rotating dummy heads?