Pentatonic (was Octave and Fifth Quantizer)

J. Larry Hendry jlarryh at iquest.net
Sat Apr 10 17:44:20 CEST 1999

> Thomas
> Larry, you're being too nice to us guitar players :-). "It allows
> them to be somewhat musical" without really knowing what they're
> doing.

Well,   Although I have played at the keys for 35 plus years, I am now
learning to play the guitar.  I had always wondered how they could be so
certain so quickly what note they were reaching for in that bitchin' lead.
I now understand that most of it is based around shapes.  You pick the
right starting point and you can move within certain patterns without
stopping to think about what notes are actually be played.  So, "where" was
my take at being kind and as accurate as us black and white jockeys can be
discussing guitar licks.

> A favorite pentatonic of guitarists is the "blues" scale.
> In C:
>
> C D# F(F#) G A#
>
> The F# is sort of a ghost used in passing or bending. Combine this
> with any I,IV, V progression, and play until everyone is bored.

I'll see how loing it takes me to bore nyself with this and get back to
you.

> A nice sort of eastern sounding scale can be had by only playing
> the black keys. With my somewhat lacking keyboard skills I sometimes
> retune my synth so that I can hit any black key and sound okay.
> Try this with different modes, i.e. different black keys as the tonic.
> Transposing to C:
>
> C D F G A

And interesting concept obvioulsy rooted from one who grew up with the
guitar instead of the keyboard.   I actually like the sound of the normal
scale created only on the black keys only.   However, most keyboard players
would rather NOT play in the key with 5 flats (HAHA).   But alas, don't we
all end up transposing everything 'cause it is not in the SINGER's range?
AARRGGHH.   How did we ever get by without those "transpose" buttons.

Larry Hendry