KA4HJH terrymbowman at
Wed Mar 18 03:29:01 CET 1998

>Does anyone know how to get the "slapback" kind of reverb? The kind that you
>hear in Sun studio records? Like Elvis Presley or Johnny Cash?

That's good ole tape echo, son. Get a three head reel-to-reel and feed some
of the output back into the input. There were other more sophisticated
devices (variable speed, for one thing) later on but the principle is the
same. Les Paul was probably the first person to do it but who knows? All I
know is I won't part with my Guild Copycat (three playback heads), even
though I have to make a new tape loop ever once in a while...

Terry Bowman, KA4HJH

More information about the Synth-diy mailing list