Recycling tubes

Eric at Svetlana Electron Devices svetengr at earthlink.net
Wed Mar 4 19:07:48 CET 1998

>My dad bought a Grundig valve "HiFi" in the late 60's early 70's.
>He got it dirt cheep as the salesman had decided that valves were obsolete and
>that spare parts would not be available much longer.
>Well the Hifi is still going and valves are still about.
>The equipment looked great and even smelled good when it was warmed up.

Thanks for the words of encouragement, Rowena. Many people still have this
silly notion that all valve equipment is noisy and self-destructs easily.

In fact, I regularly see old tube radios and hi-fis that STILL WORK, with the
ORIGINAL TUBES in them......30, 40, sometimes 50 years old.......
and yes, tubes are still easy to get.....

Can anyone say the same about early microcomputers or
even transistor radios?

(It's damn hard to get original germanium transistors now!
They are more valuable than the radios that take them!)

Eric Barbour
Svetlana Electron Devices
Portola Valley CA USA