Barberpoles and other things

Rene Schmitz uzs159 at
Sun Jan 18 00:56:22 CET 1998

At 18:09 16.01.1998 -0500, Gene Stopp wrote:

>It's interesting that you say that, Juergen.... "Klangumwandler" has a
>nice ring to it. :)
>To the American ear, a lot of German nouns seem to describe the object
>they refer to in a very descriptive, almost humorous, way. For example,
>"Klangumwandler" sounds a little like "Gong Warbler" or "Klang Wobbler"
>or something which implies a thing that is both inharmonic and
>constantly moving. Hence the name has a certain charm when applied to a
>frequency shifter. (Sadly most of us over here have little or no
>exposure to other languages, myself included.)


Ok, this is off topic!

But as a native german speaker I have to say that I like the term
Juergens translation to "sound converter" does not really hit the spot.
A "Klang" is more a 'timbre', a clangourous sound. And this is exactly what
a frequency
shifter does, it converts (or transforms) timbres into other timbres.

And in answer of the original question whether there is a german word for
No, 'cos in germany the barbers don't have these rotating poles.
But there is a word which is topic related: "Zeitdehner" for timestretcher, 
I've seen this term in anglo-american literature of the 70's, it reffered to 
a device that has 4 rotating tapeheads 90deg apart, that scans a piece of
tape which moves by. 
This one could do pitchshifting, in the early days of electronic
manipulated-tape music.

Hope someone finds this interesting, 
else throw tomatoes, eggs, or whatever you use that for in your country ;)


=(uzs159 at
             ,          : 
|") [" |\ | ["          :   This space 
|"\ [_ | \| [_          :   intentionally   
                        :   left blank

More information about the Synth-diy mailing list