Pitch & Frequency (was:Re: FS and "AKO Phasing" update)

P.J. Sonnichsen pjs at berksys.com
Thu Jan 15 13:49:23 CET 1998

I think it's mostly historical usage. Heterodyning "frequency"
shifters always shift all input frequencies by the same absolute
amount and, in so doing, render a harmonic input inharmonic.
Speed-up/slow-down "pitch" shifters shift in the time domain
and, therefore, maintain harmonic relationships.

My guess is that, because of the inharmonic output that frequency
shifters produced, marketing departments wanted to differentiate
their new harmonic-ratio preseving devices with a word more
closely associated with music.

Then, of course, I could be wrong.

- P.J.
(fan of shifters of all sorts)