Another kind of Phasing

Larry Hendry jlarryh at iquest.net
Wed Jan 14 07:01:58 CET 1998

Sorry, after reading 8 different post of a different kind of phasing, my
brain would not permit me to sleep without inserting yet another kind of
"phasing" that I work with on a regular basis.

Did you know that the phase of an AC signal can be retarded by simply
source of energy, and the end of the circuit as some load, then as the
signal applies torque to one end of the inductor the load will retard the
effective phase angle at the load end.

I say this having absolutely no idea if this "concept" has a place in an
electronic circuit.  However, in the power industry (where I work) this
phase shifting of the AC signal due to load across the delivery system is
easily seen.  The transmission lines act more inductively as power is
transmitted across them (increasing the EMF feild).  So, the more torque
applied at one end to equalize load at the other end will cause a shift in
the relative phase angle between the opposite ends.  I have seen this phase
shift in excess of 30 degrees.  Once the load (current in phase with
voltage) is removed, the phase angle at the opposite ends is almost exactly
the same.

Food for thought, or what the heck, just throw tomatoes for such an off
topic post.
Larry Hendry