Home-made front panels

List, Chris Chris.List at sc.siemens.com
Mon Jan 12 16:18:47 CET 1998

I did something similar, (did my layouts in CorelDraw) but I wasn't
satisfied with any of the self-adhesive laser printer paper out there. I
ended up using a spray-on adhesive in addition to the adhesive backing
of the laser paper. This was surely overkill, because I also coated the
whole thing with a thick layer of pour-on epoxy called Enviro-Tex for
extra durability.

For a closeup of the results check here;
http://www.mindspring.com/~clist/Spunky/closeup.html

- only problem is that the epoxy may yellow with age - but it's hard as
rock.

My next method may be to use this Dynalaser stuff:
http://www.vpcinc.com/dynamark.htm
"DynaLaser" is really nothing more than colored self-adhesive laser
paper with a fancy name - but holds up well to an acrylic coating. It
comes in a snappy-looking silver. Like the self-adhesive laser paper
that you buy at Officemax, this stuff has a poor adhesive. They stole
the name from 3M dynamark, but it doesn't even come close in terms of
quality. Still, I got a sample, mounted it on a panel, and coated it
with acrylic and it's a really respectable finish. Note that initially
you have to use light layers of spray-on acrylic because it will desolve
the laser ink. Once you have a couple of quick-dry layers on you can
start laying it on thick.

If you have a big UV light for photo exposure, the "Quickmark" product
at the above www site might be a good choice, but I haven't tried it -
and it may require a good photonegative of your artwork (rather than
just a mylar transparency) to get good results.

- CList