Soldering irons

Chris Crosskey chrisc at zetnet.co.uk
Sat Nov 29 22:55:53 CET 1997

On the subject of soldering irons, may I recommend the Antex CS17. It isn't
built to the standards of the Weller irons, but then it only costs about 35 USD
(I'm translating from UKP here) It is rebuildable, you should be able to get the
parts from the catalogues, and I know, having done so recently that you can
leave it on overnight without the handle getting hot.....It's nice and small in
the hand, has some small bits, runs off mains voltage. It's disadvantages are
that it lacks the variable heat control of the big Wellers, it has problems with
groundplanes as it doesn't shove enough out to melty solder onto them unless you
wait a few minutes and it is a disgusting shade of yellow. That said, nearly all
the electronics hobbiests I know want a Weller, but own an Antex, for hobby use
it's a very good compromise..

chrisc