To earth, or not to earth...

Alex Noble alex at elbon.demon.co.uk
Sun Nov 30 01:11:25 CET 1997

I'm currently building up stocks of bits and bobs to aid me in my quest
build myself a bit of a modular synthesisor, and I've seen all the
discussions about the different patch methods (banana/jack), but since
I'm not too surea bout myself at this point, what great difference does
the earth conenction make in this respect? I mean, what benefit does a
earthable mono jack plug have over the standard single-wire banana plug?
What is a normalised connection? Doesn't this cause problems with earth
loops and hum and all that palarver?

Oh aye, somebody thoughtfully unsubscribed me a week or two ago, so I'm
not sure what the conclusion of the small scope thread was. If nobody
mentioned it before, Maplin sell a mini size (95mm diagonal screen) CRT
monitor unit for a hundred squids. Needs a 1v pk-to-ok vid source, 2
pots for brightness and contrast and a +12v DC 400mA ps. 203x36x103mm.
VF88V.

Any help?

Also, any news of the motm scheme? What size/type of patching does the
digisound gang use?

Alex Noble.........................................alex at elbon.demon.co.uk
  Wicked original music for your ears: http://www.elbon.demon.co.uk/es/
                     Home of Euphy Scott Productions.