Lego and other HV things

David Halliday (Volt Computer) a-davidh at microsoft.com
Fri Jun 27 21:24:20 CEST 1997

> >>. Trust me on this one.. I'm speaking from experience. :)
> >>
> >>He was talking about a Jacobs Ladder which is pretty benign - have
> one
> >>in the studio and it makes no interference when I run it.
> >>
> >>A Tesla Coil however is quite the different beast!  ( Have a small
> one
> >>of these in the garage)
> >
> >Thanks for the "shocking" info ;-)
> >
> >Curious how tall your jacob's ladder is.
> >Mine was 4 feet high and it *did* take out a multimeter that was in
> the room.
>
> Christ Kevin!
>
> What'd you use for the HV? Did you do the microwave oven transformer
> thing
> or the dual ignition coils?
>
> oh wait... never mind, I see it down here now...
>

> >My Jacobs ladder used a tesla coil however for it's HV.
> >It was a high frequency oscillator driving a humungous neon
> transformer
> >really, but it acted as a good substitute. Horribly inefficient, but
> I could
> >vary the frequency.
>
> I'm really thinking of firing up a BIG Ladder... Yeah, in my copious
> free
> time. :)

BINGO!  Here is the problem, you used a high-frequency source of
electricity for the Jacob's Ladder and it was spraying RF all over the
place.  If you stick with normal powerline frequencies, you will not
have any problem.

For a really big Jacob's Ladder, a Tesla Coil builder in St. Louis, MO
used a power pole transformer - he originally got it for driving his
*big* coil ( producing arcs 15'+ in length! ) but he sent me some video
of it running as a Jacob's Ladder.  Used 1/2" flexible copper pipe for
electrodes extending five feet above the xformer.

Made a sound like a bass wolverine in heat.