Fw: Potentiometers: what do you suggest??

Ric Miller rmiller at pangea.ca
Mon Jun 16 19:38:57 CEST 1997

> From: John Speth <johns at oei.com>
> To: Synth-DIY List <synth-diy at horus.sara.nl>
> Subject: Re: Potentiometers: what do you suggest??
> Date: Friday, May 16, 1997 9:56 AM
>
> >If you put the shaft end in a vise and use a hacksaw, most of the vibration
> >will be dampened to the pot.
>
> I've been cutting long pot shafts for years and found that you have to
> watch out where your cuttings go.  Before mounting the pot in the vise, you
> should double bag the pot in a couple of baggies with tape or rubber bands
> (to seal off the wiper and innards from metal chips).  Then when you're
> done, CAREFULLY remove the baggies so that gravity draws the metal chips
> down away from the baggy opening.

???  One of the first things that I did, when I bought a vice, to cut my pot
shafts in/with, was mount the vice in a vertical position, so that the pot was
held out horizontally.  This allows the shaft to be cut vertically.  I've never
had to worry about the metal filings, as they all fall down to the floor, and
are swept up.  :)

Ric

Aural Research Facilities - Is dead - May 22nd, 1997
http://www.pangea.ca/~rmiller
Pictures from my 'short-lived' comic strip are up
on page one of my homepage.  :)