Lego and other HV things

J.D. McEachin jdm at
Fri Jun 27 15:05:01 CEST 1997

On Fri, 27 Jun 1997, Mark Pulver wrote:

> I think what amazes me the most about this is "how does one go about
> getting a power pole transformer,

Get drunk and run into a power pole. :)

You can buy them if you know who to call, though I suspect this guy got 
it from someone who worked for the electric company.

> and just where do you get the 480(?)
> needed to drive it?"

I assume that the transformer was being used to step UP from 240V 
to a medium voltage, wasn't it?

Most pole mounted transformers are for transforming from a medium voltage
of 4160-13,800V down to a low voltage of 240V.  Occasionally you'll find
480V transformers on poles, but usually if you're going 480V/3 phase, then
you'll have a pad mounted transformer.

And if you were wondering, High Voltage is 115-230kV, and Extra High 
Voltage 345-765kV, according to the IEEE.  These are typically used to get 
from the power plant to the substation, where's it's dropped down to a 
medium voltage by those big-ass transformers you see.  You wouldn't want 
high voltage lines running through your neighborhood.

> Can you really call the electric company and say "hey,
> I need a 100 amp 480 run to the house".

The electric company wouldif you had a 480V service installed and up to
code.  They would probably want to know what your projected demand was to
justify the cost, but I bet they would do it anyway if you offered to pay
for the transformer.  Not that you need it - it's scary shit compared to


More information about the Synth-diy mailing list