Synching a Vortex?

gstopp at fibermux.com gstopp at fibermux.com
Fri Jan 31 18:59:54 CET 1997

     Rather than Wheatstone bridge you probably mean full-wave bridge...
     that is the right concept but I do think that a simple peak detector
     should be tried first. This is one of those times when a gross
     conversion is all that's needed rather than a precise one.

     Regarding making my own chips - one of the current rages in EE work is
     the use of FPGA's and EPLD's and other acronym-intensive technologies,
     in this case creating circuit designs on CAD software and then
     "burning" it into a big chip. I use the Altera system right now, and I
     can put about four full pages of standard TTL schematics, probably a
     hundred chips, onto a single 84-pin PLCC. There are restrictions:

     1. TTL only - no comparators, no analog, no schmidt triggers etc.

     2. LSI and MSI only - no UARTS (yet), no micros, no special purpose

     3. The software is thousands of dollars and you need the burner too

     4. The chips are $50-75 each (fortunately they're eraseable!)

     I use these at work, so I use all this stuff for free. The chips I use
     for myself are samples we get from distributors to use as practice.
     It's actually good for me to try different designs (like MIDI stuff)
     just to keep in practice so I probably wouldn't even get in trouble if
     my "goofing off" was discovered.

     So these have limited use in electronic audio, but they're great for
     clocking and driving DAC's for CV stuff. So far I've made a keyboard
     interface, a Shepard function generator (Honcho's design), and the
     MIDI-clock converter.

     For the MIDI-clock circuit, I had to make a UART receiver out of shift
     registers, and then added some pattern identifier circuits to detect
     MIDI clock, start, stop, and continue bytes. The resulting pulses get
     fed into some counters and latches so that I have various divisions of
     the 24ppq clocks as triggers (all the divide-by-two's and
     divide-by-three's) plus the command outputs. In addition I added a
     gated clock that runs after a "start" or "continue" and stops after a
     "stop", plus a gate output that is high when running and low when
     stopped. Therefore this gizmo could easily drive analog sequencers as
     well as Roland X0X boxes.

     I can't really steal any of these chips, except for the samples, so I
     can't really be a supplier of these. Many times you can provide an
     electronics distributor with the source files and they will burn the
     chips for you so you can buy pre-programmed chips in quantity, but I
     haven't checked into this.

     - Gene
     gstopp at fibermux.com