AW: To earth, or not to earth...

Martin Czech martin.czech at itt-sc.de
Thu Dec 4 10:49:47 CET 1997

> In practice, wouldn't virtually all sounds coming out of a modular be
> running thru' a vca, and typically arriving at the vca at a high enough
> level to avoid noise pickup?

If you do the standard vco->vcf->vca patch this is almost the case.
BUt if you close the filter, vcf output goes down to pretty zero.
Then side effects may become audible.
But standard, that's not why i'm building a modular. Other patches
may have much lower intermediate levels.

> Anyone have a schematic for a vca with 120db snr ?

I keep saying : use SSM2018(T). Cheap, silent, clean, available.
You can add a log circuit for linear response.

> BTW I use banana plugs, and a star earth layout - my modular is the
> quitest analogue I've heard.

How large is your system? How long are the patchchords?
Would you say, that your output signal has always CD-Quality.
I mean, would you record it and master it directly on CD, without
noisegates etc. That's what I'm talking about.

m.c.