Future of ic's (DIL versus SMD)?

gstopp at fibermux.com gstopp at fibermux.com
Mon Sep 30 22:29:20 CEST 1996

     Yes please invent something! Doing it by hand makes me cross-eyed.

     The sockets I've used come in two pieces - first, you lay the SM
     device in a little "bed", then you clamp a little frame over it that
     presses the pins into contacts. I've seen others that use two little
     doors that open up, allowing you to place the SM device inside, and
     then you close the doors to trap the device.

     The type with the doors is actually a SM part itself, so it doesn't
     make too much sense for breadboarders, but it does allow you to swap
     out the part easily (for example, when used with FLASH).

     - Gene